
Happy Vietnamese/Chinese New Year! In Vietnam it is called Tet. For those who don't know, just a little bit of background. It is based on the lunar calendar and falls on a different date every year. This year is known as the year of the Ox (one of 12 zodiac signs), which symbolize patience, hard work, tenacity and loyalty. I'd say that about sums me up. It is typically celebrated for 3 days with lavish meals among friends and family. A big tradition is giving away red envelopes called "li xi" stuffed w/ money. The red color symbolizes good luck. The younger you are, the more money you rake in, as it is normally given to you by someone who is older. I remember when I was a kid going to the Asian market and wishing every adult I could find a happy new year. That would immediately produce a red envelope. How easy was that?
We went to Fort Smith on Saturday to have an early celebration w/ my family. This year, my parents set up a "money tree" and you could pull 3 envelopes from it. Some had more money in it than others. Nick got the envelope w/ the most money in it, of course. I'm sure my mom rigged it. I hope this will become a regular tradition. My mom also made a traditional Vietnamese soup, which contained among other things, pigs feet. Scott ate it, I had chicken nuggets, we'll leave it at that.
I don't have any pictures to load yet, but will add them as soon as I get them. In the meantime, I thought I'd change my background in celebration of the holiday. Here's wishing everyone and happy, healthy, and prosperous "new year"!

4 comments:
Love your choice of back ground...i saw it earlier today on scrapeblog and wanted to use it so bad! I adore your mom. Cracks me up to think how happy she would be hanging and guiding nick to his envelope. And the soup...Scott is so adventurous!What a sweet hubby you have! How do they get those things clean enough to eat?
Oy! Let's not talk about the pig's feet. I'm sure it will be the last time he has them again. Although I do appreciate him making the effort I obviously was not willing to make. I love your background, too!
That is very interesting info. about the New Year. When Gabby was born I bought her a little onesie that said "Year of the Dog." That's back when we were dog lovers and didn't give our dogs the boot outside.
This is totally off the subject, but have you seen any of Kev Jumba's videos on You Tube? I laugh so hard at the ones that include his dad. Pat thinks I am crazy.
I remember when i worked at the bank in Ft. Smith and right before the new year - my asian customers always wanted brand new bills to put in their envelopes. Happy new Year. Love the background.
Post a Comment